.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

While We Still Have Time

In spite of the grimness of the times in which we live, there is still hope. If you feel, like I do, that the usual discourse about matters of critical concern tends to be superficial, misguided, and false, then you might find some solace and inspiration here. I will try to offer insight and a holistic perspective on events and issues, and hopefully serve as a catalyst for raising the level of dialogue on this planet.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, United States

I was born in 1945, shortly before atom bombs were dropped on Japan. I served in the U.S. Army from 1968 to 1971. I earned master's degrees in Economics and Educational Psychology, and certificates in Web Page Design and as a Teacher of English as a Second Language. I followed an Indian guru for eight years, which immersed me in meditative practices and an attitude of reaching a higher level of being. A blog post listing the meditative practices I have pursued can be seen here.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Keeping the lights on

There are two must reads on the Web today. The first is another in a long line of outstanding exposés by New Yorker investigative reporter Seymour Hersh, titled "The General's Report." In it, Hersh details the experience of Major General Antonio Taguba when he was assigned to investigate the torture of Iraqi prisoners at the infamous Abu Ghraib prison. In an interview with Hersh on Democracy Now, he related that Taguba said this about the resistance at the Pentagon to his investigation: “I had been in the Army then for thirty-two years, and it was the first time I thought I was in the Mafia.” I have been saying that the Bush regime is a criminal gang since before the "Iraq" war. It's nice to have a bit of company.

The other must read is Glenn Greenwald's column in Salon today, in which he introduced a new slogan for the Washington press corps. He discovered the new motto in the Washington Post, where columnist Richard Cohen criticized the trial and conviction of Irv Lewis Libby by saying "As with sex or real estate, it is often best to keep the lights off."

Greenwald's column is worthy of a Pulitzer Prize. You may have to become a paying subscriber to read his work, but it will be well worth it. I wrote a comment to the article here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I read this article in the New Yorker - it is great that some people - particularly one like the general who had to work hard to get up trhough the ranks - still do the right thing.
Did you read the article in Vanity Fair from the generals who disputed our policy in Iraq?

6/26/2007 8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home